Re: Do we need to handle orphaned prepared transactions in the server? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Do we need to handle orphaned prepared transactions in the server?
Date
Re: Do we need to handle orphaned prepared transactions in the server?  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> writes:
> Tom Lane schrieb am 22.01.2020 um 16:05:
>> Right.  It's the XA transaction manager's job not to forget uncommitted
>> transactions.  Reasoning as though no TM exists is not only not very
>> relevant, but it might lead you to put in features that actually
>> make the TM's job harder.  In particular, a timeout (or any other
>> mechanism that leads PG to abort or commit a prepared transaction
>> of its own accord) does that.

> That's a fair point, but the reality is that not all XA transaction managers
> do a good job with that.

If you've got a crappy XA manager, you should get a better one, not
ask us to put in features that make PG unsafe to use with well-designed
XA managers.