Re: pg_hba.conf problem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf problem?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Carlo Florendo" <fcarlo@ntsp.nec.co.jp> writes:
> If I set the pg_hba.conf authentication entry for the client machine
> in the server machine to "trust", one could connect successfully.
> However, if I change the entry into "crypt" or "password", one
> couldn't connect even if the specified password was typed correctly.

Are you sure you tried "password" mode?  One of the problems with
"crypt" is that the crypt library function isn't the same on all
platforms, so there are cases where a client on one machine can't
compute the right crypted password to send to a server on another.
(7.2's MD5 encryption mode avoids this problem, btw.)

            regards, tom lane