Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Any risk in increasing BLCKSZ to get larger tuples?
Date
List pgsql-general
Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com> writes:
> larger than the builtin limit for tuples.  Is there anything I should be
> aware of before changing the below value and recompiling?

Only that it will force an initdb.  Note the 32k limit, too.

A trick you can use in 7.0.* to squeeze out a little more space is
to declare your large text fields as "lztext" --- this invokes
inline compression, which might get you a factor of 2 or so on typical
mail messages.  lztext will go away again in 7.1, since TOAST supersedes
it, but for now it's a useful thing to know about.

> Also, it looks like the TOAST stuff would solve this (right/wrong?), but
> it's not going to be ready for 7.1 (right/wrong?)

Right, and wrong.  It's been done for months...

            regards, tom lane