Re: Reproducing query plans in empty database: can I just copy statsand settings? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guyren Howe
Subject Re: Reproducing query plans in empty database: can I just copy statsand settings?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jul 29, 2019, at 12:25 , Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

On 7/29/19 12:07 PM, Guyren Howe wrote:
I work with Protected Health Information so have restricted access to an important database.
I would like to look into index and query changes for that database. It occurs to me that if I was able to reproduce the statistics and cost settings for the database, then Explain would produce identical results to the production database.
Can do this? Any other advice?

So what defines restricted access?

If you can't see/use the data in the production database in your test database I'm not sure how copying the statistics/cost settings is going to help.

ul[class*='mb-extra__public-links'], ul[class*='mb-note__public-links'], ul[class*='mb-task__public-links'] { display: none !important; }
Isn’t that the entirety of what the query plan is based on? I was hoping I could then run Explain as if I had the data.