Re: libpq pipelineing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: libpq pipelineing
Date
List pgsql-general
Samuel Williams <space.ship.traveller@gmail.com> writes:
> Here is a short example:
> https://gist.github.com/ioquatix/2f08f78699418f65971035785c80cf18
> It makes 10 queries in one "PQsendQuery" and sets single row mode. But
> all the results come back at once as shown by the timestamps.

That looks to be less about what libpq will do than what the Ruby
interface code will do.

The volume of return data may also be an issue.  I don't think the
backend will flush data out to the client except when it (a) reaches
an idle state or (b) fills the output buffer.  Ten occurrences of
a short query result aren't gonna be enough for (b) --- from memory,
that buffer is probably 8KB.

            regards, tom lane