Re: SEGFAULT on a concurrent UPDATE of mix of local and foreign partitions - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andrey V. Lepikhov
Subject Re: SEGFAULT on a concurrent UPDATE of mix of local and foreign partitions
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 8/10/21 1:29 AM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 06/08/2021 08:34, Andrey Lepikhov wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Postgres SEGFAULT'ed on the UPDATE of mix of local and foreign
>> partitions.
>> Initialization - see t.sql
>> For replaying this segfault just execute in parallel:
>> UPDATE test SET x = x - 1;
>>
>> The problem was introduced by commit 1375422.
>> ExecUpdate has found a concurrently updated tuples and starts subplan
>> evaluation. This operation creates new EState for EPQState and sets
>> es_result_relations in NULL value. Next, ExecInitNode(subplan) is
>> launched and underlying ExecInitForeignScan tries to access to an
>> element of es_result_relations. This causes SEGFAULT.
>
> Thanks for the report!
>
>> I studied this problem shortly. I think, EPQState can use
>> es_result_relations of a parent EState. Patch in attachment fixes this.
>> check-world passed clearly.
>
> Hmm, that seems to work, but I have a few questions:
>
> Can we be sure that the es_result_relations entry of the result relation
> has been initialized when the EPQState is constructed? The general model
> now is that you initialize them lazily, when needed.
As I understand the code correctly - yes, because a ModifyTable node
higher and will initialize this field earlier. But in many cases it is
not needed.

> Does it ever make sense to re-evaluate a direct Foreign Update as part
> of EvalPlanQual? It doesn't seem sane to me, you cannot just run an
> UPDATE statement again and expect it to be idempotent. So I think it
> would make sense skip this during EvalPlanQual processing altogether.
> And no need to call the FDW's Begin/EndDirectModify functions either.
Agree. It is my first dive into the EPQ code. After studying i think
this makes no sense.

> It's not clear to me what guarantee there is that a direct-modify
> Foreign Update/Delete node is never re-evaluated as part of
> EvalPlanQual. Is it because the a ModifyTable node is always at the top
> of the plan tree? Or is it because the FDW never uses direct-modify in
> queries where EvalPlanQual might be needed? Or because we use
> ROW_MARK_COPY in those cases?
ModifyTable node may be found in an underlying CTE, for example. And,
right now, it's not clear for me too.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov