Re: [HACKERS] Enum type emulation: problem with opaque type in PL/pgSQL functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Enum type emulation: problem with opaque type in PL/pgSQL functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Max Fonin <fonin@ziet.zhitomir.ua> writes:
> I guess the problem is that PL/pgSQL doesn't handle opaque type correctly.

No it doesn't, which is not surprising considering that opaque isn't
really a type at all.  The error message could be improved though :-(

Currently I believe that the only way to write datatype I/O routines
is to do it in C, because what they really need to deal in is C-style
strings, and those are not an SQL-level type.

            regards, tom lane