Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vadim Mikheev <vadim@krs.ru> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> 1. Eliminate arbitrary restrictions on tuple size.

> This is not primary for me -:)

Fair enough; it's not something I need either.  But I see complaints
about it constantly on the mailing lists; a lot of people do need it.

> * Allow large text type to use large objects(Peter)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I like it very much, though I don't like that LO are stored
> in separate files.

But, but ... if we fixed the tuple-size problem then people could stop
using large objects at all, and instead just put their data into tuples.
I hate to see work going into improving LO support when we really ought
to be phasing out the whole feature --- it's got *so* many conceptual
and practical problems ...

>> any chance of getting everyone to subscribe to a master plan like this?

> No chance -:))

Yeah, I know ;-).  But I was hoping to line up enough people so that
these things have some chance of getting done.  I doubt that any of
these projects can be implemented by just one or two people; they all
affect too much of the code.  (For instance, eliminating query-size
restrictions will require looking at all of the interface libraries,
psql, pg_dump, and probably other apps, even though the fixes in
the backend should be somewhat localized.)