Re: table partitioning pl/pgsql helpers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Enrico Sirola
Subject Re: table partitioning pl/pgsql helpers
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Robert,

Il giorno 01/giu/07, alle ore 04:08, Robert Treat ha scritto:

[...]

We I set these up for our clients, I typically seperate the partition creation
piece from the data insertion piece.  (Mostly as partition creation,
especially with rules, is a table locking event, which is better done in a
non-critical path).  If you really must do it all in one go, you'll have a

I see, and now I agree with you it's better to decouple partition creation
and data insertion.

much better chance of accomplishing this using all triggers (and triggers are
better anyway)... i think you could do it with a combination of rules and a
trigger (on insert to parent, create new parition and insert into it and
delete from parent) but it would certainly need testing to make sure you dont
have multi-rule evaluation... course since your making a trigger anyway...

Even more importantly, I just discovered (trying and then reading pgsql docs) that the rule
system is completely bypassed by the COPY FROM statement, so I think I'll rewrite
everything using some sort of trigger-generating procedure because I want this stuff
to work transparently (and we do lots of copy from).
Thanks for the advices,

Enrico Sirola