Re: [HACKERS] Backend build fails in current - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Backend build fails in current
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Okay, the build went fine, but the following came up:
> make -C parser all
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/fenix0/eh99/e99re41/postgresql-cur/src/backend/parser'
> Makefile:39: warning: overriding commands for target `parse.h'
> Makefile:34: warning: ignoring old commands for target `parse.h'

> With that fixed you could commit it.

I haven't the foggiest how to work around that --- but since my make
(3.76.1, no spring chicken itself) doesn't generate any such complaint,
I'd say it's another bug in that old version you have.

My inclination is to apply the patch anyway, since it's cleaner coding.

If make 3.74 does the right things despite the warning, then you could
live with it.  Otherwise, time to upgrade.

It seems we ought to add a minimum GNU make version number to the list
of prerequisites for Postgres.  Data points so far are that 3.74 has
problems and 3.76.1 is OK --- can anyone fill in more observations?
Anyone using 3.75, for instance?