Re: [INTERFACES] SOMAXCONN, MaxBackendID and Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] SOMAXCONN, MaxBackendID and Postgres
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
StOo <stuart@comodo.net> writes:
> O/S  S.u.s.e linux 6.0
> kernel 2.0.36
> postgres 6-4-2

> I'm trying to increase the maximum number of connections  on the operating
> system which invovles altering the SOMAXCONN and patching certain
> files.

Changing the max number of backends in 6.4.* is pretty painful.  I'd
suggest updating to 6.5.1 --- you can set the max to as high as 1024
without even recompiling.

Whether your kernel will support that many is another question.  Aside
from the connections themselves, you need adequate swap space, file
table slots, etc to support that many processes.  You will also need
larger-than-typical limits on the size of the shared memory block and
on the max number of semaphores.
        regards, tom lane