Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/27/21 8:22 AM, Lætitia Avrot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You'll find enclosed the first version of my patch. I did not include
> the possibility of using a file to list tables to be exported as Tom
> suggested because I genuinely think it is a totally different matter.
> It does not mean I'm not open to the possibility, it just felt weird.
>
> The patch allows using a `--functions-only` flag in `pg_dump` to
> export only functions and stored procedures. My code was build and
> passed tests on the last master branch of the PostgreSQL project. I
> added regression tests. Documentation has been updated too and
> generation of the documentation (HTML, man page, pdf in A4 and letter
> US format) has been tested successfully.

We can bikeshed the name of the flag at some stage. --procedures-only
might also make sense

> I did not add a warning in the documentation that the file provided
> might end up in a not restorable file or in a file restoring broken
> functions or procedures. Do you think I should?

No, I don't think it's any different from any of the other similar switches.

> I don't know if this patch has any impact on performance. I guess that
> adding 4 if statements will slow down `pg_dump` a little bit.

Not likely to be noticeable.

Please add this to the next commitfest.

cheers

andrew