Re: Problem creating a database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Colin Coles
Subject Re: Problem creating a database
Date
List pgsql-general

On 15/10/2018 10:46, Joshua White wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've got a
> PostgreSQL 10 server instance on CentOS 6, which I set up and manage. I
> have full admin rights on this machine, so I can access logs, etc.
>
> Recently I attempted to create a new database in this cluster. The command
> succeeds, but when I try to connect to the new database, I get a "could not
> open file" error:
>
> psql: FATAL:  could not open file "base/618720/2610": No such file or
> directory
>
> It has been some time since I set up the database, so I don't know how long
> ago this became an issue. I can't seem to find any other instances of this
> problem online either. The logs are not helpful - even on the highest debug
> setting, I only see the "connection authorized" then the fatal "could not
> open file" error.
>
> The data directory is on a separate disk array to the OS. Recently checked
> it and there are no disk errors.
>
> Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Joshua

Hi Joshua,
  I have a distant recollection of a similar problem on CentOS, solved
by raising the mount point further up the fs hierarchy. i.e. I think I
ended up having to have the disk partition mounted on /var/lib before it
would work properly, after initially trying it on /var/lib/pgsql/data.
If you're using 10 your path will probably be different, but I think it
boiled down to the ownership of the underlying mount point.

Cheers,
Colin.