JDBC object factory - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Julius Stroffek
Subject JDBC object factory
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hello All,

I am thinking of implementing a JDBC object factory which will create correct jdbc object instances at runtime depending on java version the application is running on.

The interface should look like

interface JDBCObjectFatory {
public static Connection createConnection(some prameters);
public static Connection createStatement(some parameters);
... etc
}

And the corresponding implementations should be JDBC2ObjectFactory, JDBC3ObjectFactory and JDBC4ObjectFactory.

For each JDBC version the corresponding set of objects might be available. The appropriate inheritance relations might be in place where the implementations of the methods common to more JDBC version will be implemented only in the super class (due to object factory).

As I am new to posgres jdbc driver I would like to ask some questions:
1.) What do you think of the idea?
2.) Would it be worthwhile to implement such a feature and spent some time on it? Is anybody interested?
3.) Are there any processes described for integrating patches?

Thank you for your advices.

Regards

Julo