Re: BufferAlloc: don't take two simultaneous locks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Yura Sokolov
Subject Re: BufferAlloc: don't take two simultaneous locks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
В Пт, 11/03/2022 в 17:21 +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi пишет:
> At Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:49:49 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> > At Fri, 11 Mar 2022 15:30:30 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> > > Thanks!  I looked into dynahash part.
> > >
> > >  struct HASHHDR
> > >  {
> > > -       /*
> > > -        * The freelist can become a point of contention in high-concurrency hash
> > >
> > > Why did you move around the freeList?

This way it is possible to allocate just first partition, not all 32 partitions.

> Then I looked into bufmgr part.  It looks fine to me but I have some
> comments on code comments.
>
> >                * To change the association of a valid buffer, we'll need to have
> >                * exclusive lock on both the old and new mapping partitions.
> >               if (oldFlags & BM_TAG_VALID)
>
> We don't take lock on the new mapping partition here.

Thx, fixed.

> +        * Clear out the buffer's tag and flags.  We must do this to ensure that
> +        * linear scans of the buffer array don't think the buffer is valid. We
> +        * also reset the usage_count since any recency of use of the old content
> +        * is no longer relevant.
> +    *
> +        * We are single pinner, we hold buffer header lock and exclusive
> +        * partition lock (if tag is valid). Given these statements it is safe to
> +        * clear tag since no other process can inspect it to the moment.
>
> This comment is a merger of the comments from InvalidateBuffer and
> BufferAlloc.  But I think what we need to explain here is why we
> invalidate the buffer here despite of we are going to reuse it soon.
> And I think we need to state that the old buffer is now safe to use
> for the new tag here.  I'm not sure the statement is really correct
> but clearing-out actually looks like safer.

I've tried to reformulate the comment block.

> > Now it is safe to use victim buffer for new tag.  Invalidate the
> > buffer before releasing header lock to ensure that linear scans of
> > the buffer array don't think the buffer is valid.  It is safe
> > because it is guaranteed that we're the single pinner of the buffer.
> > That pin also prevents the buffer from being stolen by others until
> > we reuse it or return it to freelist.
>
> So I want to revise the following comment.
>
> -        * Now it is safe to use victim buffer for new tag.
> +        * Now reuse victim buffer for new tag.
> >        * Make sure BM_PERMANENT is set for buffers that must be written at every
> >        * checkpoint.  Unlogged buffers only need to be written at shutdown
> >        * checkpoints, except for their "init" forks, which need to be treated
> >        * just like permanent relations.
> >        *
> >        * The usage_count starts out at 1 so that the buffer can survive one
> >        * clock-sweep pass.
>
> But if you think the current commet is fine, I don't insist on the
> comment chagnes.

Used suggestion.

Fr, 11/03/22 Yura Sokolov wrote:
> В Пт, 11/03/2022 в 15:49 +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi пишет:
> > BufTableDelete considers both reuse and !reuse cases but
> > BufTableInsert doesn't and always does HASH_ASSIGN.  That looks
> > odd. We should use HASH_ENTER here.  Thus I think it is more
> > reasonable that HASH_ENTRY uses the stashed entry if exists and
> > needed, or returns it to freelist if exists but not needed.
> >
> > What do you think about this?
>
> Well... I don't like it but I don't mind either.
>
> Code in HASH_ENTER and HASH_ASSIGN cases differs much.
> On the other hand, probably it is possible to merge it carefuly.
> I'll try.

I've merged HASH_ASSIGN into HASH_ENTER.

As in previous letter, three commits are concatted to one file
and could be applied with `git am`.

-------

regards

Yura Sokolov