Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Granting SET and ALTER SYSTE privileges for GUCs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3/24/22 12:49, Mark Dilger wrote:

>> On Mar 17, 2022, at 8:41 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>
>> If we abandoned that for this form of GRANT/REVOKE I think we could
>> probably get away with
>>

>>     GRANT { SET | ALTER SYSTEM } ON setting_name ...
>>

>> I haven't tried it, so I could be all wrong.
> Version 12 of the patch uses SET and ALTER SYSTEM as the names of the privileges, and PARAMETER as the name of the
thingon which the privilege is granted.  The catalog table which tracks these grants is now named pg_parameter_acl, and
variousother parts of the patch have been adjusted to use a "parameter" based, rather than a "setting" based, naming
scheme. One exception to this rule is the "setacl" column in pg_parameter_acl, which is much more compact than the
"parameteracl"name would be, so that remains under the old name.

I can live with it I guess, but it seems perverse to me to have
pg_settings but pg_paramater_acl effectively referring to the same set
of things. If we're going to do this perhaps we should create a
pg_parameters view which is identical to pg_settings and deprecate
pg_settings. I don;t want to hold up this patch, I think this can
probably be managed as a follow up item.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan