Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hideyuki Kawashima
Subject Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom and all,

I apologize destroying the thread information with this topic.
Unfortunately my basic smtp server does not work now and I am writing
all the responses via gmail tonight...

Tom,

Thanks for teaching me about the development assumption of PostgreSQL.
The assumption and my direction are different since the assumption
considers only disk drive as persistent device while my assumption is
battery-supplied memory.

Honestly speaking, I am not sure whether there is a person who accepts
my assumption (i.e. battery-supplied memory as persistent device) or
not.  And I am not sure whether my approach can be integrated into
PostgreSQL since some accept and some reject. So, anyway I will write
a patch and submit. Then I leave to this community the decision of
accept/reject. If someone has interest on Sigres, please download it
from http://sourceforge.jp/projects/sigres/ and try it. I will
continue to accelerate Sigres more anyway under my assumption. Since I
believe "time always wins in transaction processing" as Jim Gray told
last June in ACM SIGMOD 2006 keynote talk, I wish UPS will be reliable
or nice non volatile memories such as MRAM will appear in the near
future.

Finally, this discussion was really beneficial for me. I would like to
say thank you for everyone who gave me great information. Thank you
all !

Best Regards,

-- Hideyuki