Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+ - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From rado@edno.moe
Subject Re: RFC: Make new versions of pgjdbc Java8+
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On 2017-04-03 23:02, Dave Cramer wrote:
> On 3 April 2017 at 16:01, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa <aht@8kdata.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 03/04/17 21:15, rado@edno.moe wrote:
>> Hi everyone.
>> On 2017-04-03 21:58, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> * Dave Cramer (pg@fastcrypt.com) wrote:
>> On 3 April 2017 at 14:33, Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
>> <aht@8kdata.com> wrote:
>> Quick eyeball of the latest two versions shows significant download
>> of
>> jre6, and a scary data of 1208 jre7. I wonder what project is using
>> that?
>>
>> Chef.
>>
>> All but ~4000 of those hits were by either "Chef Client" or "Chef
>> Knife", most of which were, unsurprisingly, just 304's ("not
>> modified").
>
> From 100 000 downloads?
> This link shows which other POMs are referring to 9.4.1208.jre7:
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.postgresql/postgresql/9.4.1208.jre7/usages
> [1]
> Keep in mind that I don't know how reliable is this data, but Clojure
> and Spring Boot are quite popular projects.
>
>      This doesn't seem to happen with current version 42:
>
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.postgresql/postgresql/42.0.0.jre7/usages
> [2] (not used so far)

The big projects that embed jdbc drivers are not so many and probably
they are not releasing new versions only because of the dependencies
updates. And the 42.0.0 release is quite new.

As a side note: Hibernate 5.2 is officially Java8 only:
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/wiki/Migration-Guide---5.2#move-to-java-8-for-baseline
And they soon will drop support for 5.1
(http://in.relation.to/2017/03/14/hibernate-orm-515-final-release/) when
5.3 is released. They've changed their policy last year and now you get
bug fixes only for the current and the previous release.
The upcoming version of Spring platform is also Java8:

https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-framework/wiki/What%27s-New-in-the-Spring-Framework#whats-new-in-spring-framework-5x
Spring 4.x is Java6, but Spring Boot requires Java7 and recommends
Java8:
http://docs.spring.io/spring-boot/docs/1.5.2.RELEASE/reference/htmlsingle/#getting-started-system-requirements

IMO these two will drive some migration effort to Java8.

> BTW, description of this version of the driver, according to
> http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.postgresql/postgresql/42.0.0.jre7
> [3] is:
>
> "Java JDBC 4.2 (JRE 8+) driver for PostgreSQL database"
>
>     LOL!
>
> guess I'll have to fix that

Here the release tag seems OK:
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|org.postgresql|postgresql|42.0.0.jre7|jar
Probably it's a bug in mvnrepository.com