Re: postgres_fdw hint messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: postgres_fdw hint messages
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 25.08.22 15:42, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> It's also questionable how useful this hint is in its current form,
> considering how long it is and that the options are in an
> implementation-dependent order.
>
> Possible changes:

> - Remove all the hints like this from foreign data commands.

It appears that there was a strong preference toward this solution, so
that's what I implemented in the updated patch set.

(Considering the hints that are removed in the tests cases, I don't
think this loses any value.  What might be useful in practice instead is
something like "the option you specified on this foreign server should
actually be specified on a user mapping or foreign table", but this
would take a fair amount of code to cover a reasonable set of cases, so
I'll leave this as a future exercise.)
Attachment