Re: Automatic PK values not added to new rows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Automatic PK values not added to new rows
Date
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard schrieb am 25.05.2022 um 20:15:
> On Wed, 25 May 2022, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Do:
>> select * from people_person_nbr_seq;
>> and report back the results.
>
> Adrian,
>
> Huh!
> bustrac=# select * from people_person_nbr_seq;
>   last_value | log_cnt | is_called ------------+---------+-----------
>          683 |      32 | t
> (1 row)
>
> It's out of sync with
>   select max(person_nbr) from people;
>
> Is there a way for me to synchronize the two?

If you want to prevent such a situation in the future, you might want to
consider defining those columns as "generated always as identity" instead
of "serial".

Then you'd get an error if you try to bypass the database generated values.