[HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add TAP tests for password-basedauthentication methods. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add TAP tests for password-basedauthentication methods.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 3/17/17 05:37, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Add TAP tests for password-based authentication methods.
>>
>> Tests all combinations of users with MD5, plaintext and SCRAM verifiers
>> stored in pg_authid, with plain 'password', 'md5' and 'scram'
>> authentication methods.
>
> This is missing an entry for tmp_check/ in .gitignore.  But maybe we can
> do that globally instead of repeating it in every directory?

Hmm. That would be nice. However, many of the test suites have other
files and directories in their .gitignores, so handling tmp_check
globally wouldn't move the needle much. And handling some generated
subdirectories globally and others locally seems confusing. For example,
src/test/regress/.gitignore currently looks like this:

> # Local binaries
> /pg_regress
>
> # Generated subdirectories
> /tmp_check/
> /results/
> /log/
>
> # Note: regreesion.* are only left behind on a failure; that's why they're not ignored
> #/regression.diffs
> #/regression.out

Not having /tmp_check/ in the above would look like an omission, when
/results/ and /log/ are still listed.

If we could also handle results and log globally, that would be nice.
But IMHO those names are too generic to put to a global .gitignore. We
could rename them, but this starts to feel like more trouble than it's
worth. I'll just go and create a .gitignore for /tmp_check/ to
src/test/authentication.

- Heikki