Re: Catching unique_violation exception on specific column/index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: Catching unique_violation exception on specific column/index
Date
List pgsql-general
Alexey Dokuchaev schrieb am 11.06.2018 um 12:58:
>>> I have a table with several UNIQUE and CHECK constraints.  One of these
>>> UNIQUE constraints actually *can* be violated -- not on the table level,
>>> of course, but on the application level -- meaning, if the entry with
>>> particular foo_key is already in there, do not throw an exception, just
>>> silently do nothing.
>>
>> What's wrong with:
>>
>>   INSERT ...
>>   ON CONFLICT (foo_key) DO NOTHING
>
> Nothing I guess, except that it is available since 9.5 (right?), and I try
> to stay compatible with 9.3.  Sorry for not saying this in the first place.

Andreas already mentioned that 9.3 will be EOL soon (3 months from now), but
the performance and efficiency for concurrent execution of ON CONFLICT is
much better than anything you can implement yourself.

If that functionality is an important part of your code, you should consider
upgrading to 10 (or 9.6 if your are really conservative) rather sooner
than later.