Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alexander Lakhin
Subject Re: make installcheck-world in a clean environment
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello Tom,

31.07.2018 01:16, Tom Lane wrote:
Alexander Lakhin <exclusion@gmail.com> writes:
14.07.2018 13:57, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On 06.07.18 09:45, Alexander Lakhin wrote:
./configure --enable-tap-tests
make install
make install -C contrib
chown -R postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql/
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -l logfile -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/make clean/
# Also you can just install binary packages to get the same state.

make installcheck-world
# This check fails.
I remain pretty skeptical that this is a sensible way to proceed,
especially not if what you're testing is installed binary packages.
You're creating yet *another* hazard for version-skew-like problems,
namely that there's no certainty that you gave configure arguments
that're compatible with what the installed packages used.
I believe that `installed_instance_path\bin\pg_config --configure` can show the arguments, which can be used to perform ./configure and then make installcheck for binary packages.
I understand that it should be done on the same platform and with exactly the same PG version, but I think it's the only right way to check the binaries (to perform user-centric testing).

Best regards,

------

Alexander Lakhin

The Russian Postgres Company