AutoCommit and DDL - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Don Drake
Subject AutoCommit and DDL
Date
List pgsql-sql
I have a generic function that creates partition tables and their
corresponding indexes and constraints.

I've tested the function using a GUI and it works great.  We
implemented in our data loaders (written in perl) and the DB
connections have AutoCommit turned off.  When we run it in the perl
script, I see the code being execute to create the tables, etc. but
they are never created, even with a commit at the end.  It appears
something is causing the table creation to get rolled back.

I turned AutoCommit on and re-ran the perl script and the tables get
created.  Why won't these table's get created when AutoCommit is off?
Why do I have to commit DDL?

I'm running 7.4.3.

Thanks.

-Don