Re: Postgresql HA Cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Postgresql HA Cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2020-06-28 at 09:10 +0530, Brajendra Pratap Singh wrote:
> Is there any functionality present in postgresql for High Availability Cluster where we can setup
> multiple nodes/instances in READ-WRITE mode for single database so that incase of one node/instance
> failure it will automatically failover the traffic to 2nd node/instance (without
> failure or in less time) ,this is just like oracle RAC concept .
>
> Here High Availability Cluster means there will be zero downtime incase of any one node/instance failure.

There is no such functionality built into PostgreSQL.

An architecture like Oracle RAC is not ideal for high availability, since the
ASM/Tablespace/Segment "file system" is a single point of failure.

You can use Solutions like Patroni or repmgr for high availability.

That would not provode a multi-master solution, though.  There are some
commercial solutions for that, but be warned that it would require non-trivial
changes to your application.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe