Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Schema variables - new implementation for Postgres 15
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17.03.23 21:50, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hi
>
> rebase + fix-update pg_dump tests
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

I have spent several hours studying the code and the past discussions.

The problem I see in general is that everyone who reviews and tests the
patches finds more problems, behavioral, weird internal errors, crashes.
  These are then immediately fixed, and the cycle starts again.  I don't
have the sense that this process has arrived at a steady state yet.

The other issue is that by its nature this patch adds a lot of code in a
lot of places.  Large patches are more likely to be successful if they
add a lot of code in one place or smaller amounts of code in a lot of
places.  But this patch does both and it's just overwhelming.  There is
so much new internal functionality and terminology.  Variables can be
created, registered, initialized, stored, copied, prepared, set, freed,
removed, released, synced, dropped, and more.  I don't know if anyone
has actually reviewed all that in detail.

Has any effort been made to make this simpler, smaller, reduce scope,
refactoring, find commonalities with other features, try to manage the
complexity somehow?

I'm not making a comment on the details of the functionality itself.  I
just think on the coding level it's not gotten to a satisfying situation
yet.