Re: /Var Partition Full - How can a change PGDATA? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Professor Flávio Brito
Subject Re: /Var Partition Full - How can a change PGDATA?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi Michael and List

I did  ln -sf /sistema/postgresql /var/lib/pgsql ; chown -h postgres.postgres pgsql

as you told me, but without success.

In my command list I copied to a right place (my command list omitted it ) at the second try

#cd /var/lib/pgsql
#cp -pr data /sistema/postgresql

New PGDATA
/sistema/postgresql/data

Old PGDATA
/var/lib/pgsql (renamed to /var/lib/pgsql_old
I created postgresql at  /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/
PGDATA=/sistema/postgresql/data
PGPORT=3456

2009/10/7 Michael Wood <esiotrot@gmail.com>
Hi

2009/10/7 Professor Flávio Brito <prof.flaviobrito@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I´m in a big trouble. I need a help!!

See below for the "proper" answer, but if you need this working in a
hurry, you could try using a symlink instead:

ln -s /sistema/postgresql /var/lib/pgsql
(or something like that.)

> My /var server partition  is full. I copied data dir to another partition. I
> changed owners of dirs and files (postgres.postgres) . I changed
> /etc/init.d/postgresql PGDATA to a new value, but when I try to load
> postgresql,this message appears
>
> ---pgstartup.log
> runuser: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/pgsql: No such file or
> directory
> runuser: warning: cannot change directory to /var/lib/pgsql: No such file or
> directory
[...]

In your commands below you do not remove /var/lib/pgsql.  You only
mention /var/lib/pgsql/data, so why is /var/lib/pgsql not there?  Did
you also move it to /sistema/...?

> Some commands
>
> # /etc/init.d/postgresql stop
> # cd /var/lib/pgsql/
> # cp -pr data/ /sistema/

This would put a copy of data into /systema/data.  Not
/sistema/postgresql/data like in the /etc/init.d/postgresql script.
So I think maybe you have not told us all the commands that you ran.

> #chown -R postgres.postgres postgresql/
>
> #vi /etc/init.d/postgresql
> PGENGINE=/usr/bin
> PGPORT=5432
> #PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data Mudanca diretorio - particao /var cheia em
> 07/10/2009
> PGDATA=/sistema/postgresql/data
> if [ -f "$PGDATA/PG_VERSION" ] && [ -d "$PGDATA/base/template1" ]
> then
>         echo "Using old-style directory structure"
> else
>         #GDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data
>         PGDATA=/sistema/postgresql/data
> fi
> #PGLOG=/var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log
> PGLOG=/sistema/postgresql/pgstartup.log
>
> # Override defaults from /etc/sysconfig/pgsql if file is present
> [ -f /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/${NAME} ] && . /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/${NAME}
>
> export PGDATA
> export PGPORT

What is in /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/*?  Maybe PGDATA is being redefined there?

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot@gmail.com>