Re: 8.x index insert performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: 8.x index insert performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
> > if that index is causing the problem, you may want to consider
setting
> > up partial index to exclude null values.
>
> This is a single column index.  I assumed that null column values were
> not indexed.  Is my assumption incorrect?
>
> -K
It turns out it is, or it certainly seems to be.  I didn't know that :).
So partial index will probably not help for null exclusion...

would be interesting to see if you are getting swaps (check pg_tmp) when
performance breaks down.  That is an easy fix, bump work_mem.

Merlin