Re: [HACKERS] RQ: Prepared statements used by multiple connections - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: [HACKERS] RQ: Prepared statements used by multiple connections
Date
List pgsql-odbc
> > ... a prepared version that is local to the backend that invokes the
> > function, yes (i.e. it will be planned once per backend). So ISTM
this
> > is equivalent functionality to what you can get using PREPARE or the
> > extended query protocol.
>
> Are you sure it's only per-backend?  I thought I tested it and it
seemed
> to prepare it everywhere... oh well.

Plpgsql functions at the least are compiled by each backend.  I take
advantage of this...I use schemas and I don't have to keep a copy of the
function for each dataset.  I think vanilla sql functions might be
different.

> Either way, it avoids the problem with prepared queries in that you
> cannot know in advance if your query has already been prepared or not.

Yep.  I like things the way they are, but I can feel the pain of
applications that don't (or can't) keep connections open.

Merlin