Re: first postgrreSQL tunning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: first postgrreSQL tunning
Date
List pgsql-performance
> Hi there! I'm doing my first tunning on my postgreSQL, my server is
for
> a small app, largest table shall never exceed 10k rows, and less than
1k
> transactions/day. So I don't think I should run out of resources. The
> machine is a Fedora Core 3.0 with 1gb ran and kernel 2.6. I'm thinking
> in having 50 connections limit, so besides semaphores should I do
> anything special on kernel parameters. The app is so small that during
> late night time almost no one will access so, I'm thinking in full
> vacuuming it every day at 1:00AM.

The biggest danger with small databases is it's easy to become
overconfident...writing poor queries and such and not properly indexing.
50 users can hit your system pretty hard if they all decide to do
something at once.  Aside from that, just remember to bump up work_mem a
bit for fast joining.

Your application may be small, but if it is written well and works, it
well inevitably become larger and more complex, so plan for the future
:)

Merlin