Re: Postgres vs. the rest - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Postgres vs. the rest
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> Hello,
>
> I am looking into PostgreSQL and am looking for general functional
> information, as well as comparisons to other DBMSes, specifically SQL

vs. mysql: no contest, use pg.
vs. ms sql: on win32 it's a wash (historically it was a rough go on
windows) these days save yourself 10k$ and use pg.  If your really
heavily invested in ms tools (especially visual basic, sql server is not
a bad choice).
vs. oracle: use pg, unless you are heavily invested in oracle toolset.

> Server and MySQL. I'd be interested in any general info anybody has.
It'd
> be even better if you were in the Seattle area, so I could talk to
someone
> locally. :)

> I'm curious in that some of the advocacy documents talk about
PostgreSQL
> being 'object-relational'. What does this mean exactly?

Not much.  It sort of means 'has features to facilitate mapping to an OO
application paradigm).  More and more, though, pg is becoming a sql
dbms.  However, it is very programmable.  Maybe somebody with more
experience can answer this one better.

> Also, are there any native .NET data providers available for
PostgreSQL?

Check npgsql.

Merlin