Re: spurious function execution in prepared statements. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: spurious function execution in prepared statements.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Here's another workaround that may let you use a prepared statement:
>
> prepare ps(...) as
> select f(c) from (select c from t where [expr] limit 1) as t1
>
> -Mike

I was just exploring that.  In fact, the problem is not limited to
prepared statements...it's just that they are more likely to run a
seqscan so I noticed it there first.  Since I am in a situation where I
need very strict control over when and why f gets executed, I pretty
much have to go with the subquery option.

That said, it just seems that out of result set excecutions of f should
be in violation of something...

Merlin