CREATE TABLE AS inside of a function - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kevin Nikiforuk
Subject CREATE TABLE AS inside of a function
Date
List pgsql-sql
So now that I've got my loops working, on to my next newbie question.  I've created my function and in it, I want to
loopthrough the results of a select and for each value of my loop counter, I want to create a new table, but I can't
figureout how to use a variable in the name of the new table, see below.
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION rgio() RETURNS INTEGER as $$
DECLARE        lv RECORD;
BEGIN       FOR lv IN SELECT DISTINCT rg FROM ldevrg LOOP               CREATE TABLE rgio_$lv AS
SELECTldev                        FROM ldevrg                        WHERE rg='$lv';       END LOOP;
RETURN 1;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;

Thanks,