Re: extension_control_path - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: extension_control_path
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Feb 6, 2014, at 6:51 AM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:

> Homebrew sounds kind of confused. Having a non-root user have access
> to make global system changes sounds like privilege escalation
> vulnerability by design.

Well, the point is that it *doesn’t* make global system changes. I got an error on OS X Server with my original
formula,because there was no permission to install in $PGROOT/share/extensions.

> However putting that aside, it is fairly standard for software to
> provide two directories for extensions/modules/plugins/etc. One for
> distribution-built software such as /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ and
> another for sysadmin customizations such as
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp. The same idea as /usr/share/perl and
> /usr/local/share/perl or with Python or anything else.

Right. And you can also add additional paths for those applications to search.

Best,

David