Difference between terminate/cancel? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From François Beausoleil
Subject Difference between terminate/cancel?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

What is the difference between both? cancel sends QUIT while terminate sends TERM, but what effect does this have on the backends, shared memory, etc?

I had some processes stuck in IDLE in transaction after a machine died (through pgbouncer), and cancel did not close the connections, while terminate did kill the transactions.

The docs at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADMIN-SIGNAL-TABLE do name the signals, but I can't find other documentation on the effects of TERM/QUIT (I'm on 9.1, but devel says the same thing).

Are there pointers in the docs on the differences?

Thanks!
François
Attachment