Re: svn access?"Can't connect to host - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From OpenMacNews
Subject Re: svn access?"Can't connect to host
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
hi dave,

>> i'm wondering why this project has chosen the svnserve'd svn:// schema for
>> the  repo rather than web-dav + http://.
>
> A number of reasons, but mainly because the Subversion manual's own
> comparison points out that it's much simpler to setup and faster to use. The
> only feature we might have used that we've lost out on this way is
> per-directory access control, but that's no great loss IMNSHO.

and the ability for those behind firewalls to only worry about communicatig
with a "more standard" port 80 ...

> There's no need. Plain old svn has now been tested on various machines and
> works OK.

agreed.

> Yours is the only failure I've heard of :-(

i'm cursed =(

> OK, just tried a telnet to the svn port (3690) from my machine here (at
> home), which is unknown to any of the firewalls where the dev box is - I get
> a response like:
>
> ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) )
>
> What do you get?

from behind my firewall, on my LAN ...

    % telnet svr2.postgresql.org 25
        Trying 65.19.161.25...
        Connected to svr2.postgresql.org.
        Escape character is '^]'.

but

    % telnet svr2.postgresql.org 3690
        Trying 65.19.161.25...
        telnet: connect to address 65.19.161.25: Operation timed out
        telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

with nothing in my firewall logs ...

from OUTSIDE my firewall, @ my ISP-based shell acct:

    % telnet svr2.postgresql.org 3690
        Trying 65.19.161.25...

BUT, to 'another' server ...

    % telnet svn.adiumx.com 3690
        Trying 216.133.69.35...
        Connected to penguinmilitia.net.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        ( success ( 1 2 ( ANONYMOUS ) ( edit-pipeline ) ) ) ^]

i'm not convinced its NOT your server ... then again, i'm not convinced it's
not me too =-S

a SWAG -- i just wonder if there's a version incompatibiolity between our
"subversion versions".  i'm using 1.2rc2 -- you?

argh!

cheers,

richard