Re: MySQL Blackhole Engine - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Ribe
Subject Re: MySQL Blackhole Engine
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Nov 6, 2012, at 4:56 PM, Deron wrote:

> Yes,  I can't really find a good use case for it.   I am meeting with some of them in the next few days to find out
exactlywhat they are using it for.  If there is a legitimate use case for this, I will forward that information.

> Thanks for the suggestions.  I will pass this information along as well if they really need the behavior.

From the docs, half a page down:

Inserts into a BLACKHOLE table do not store any data, but if the binary log is enabled, the SQL statements are logged
(andreplicated to slave servers). This can be useful as a repeater or filter mechanism. Suppose that your application
requiresslave-side filtering rules, but transferring all binary log data to the slave first results in too much
traffic.In such a case, it is possible to set up on the master host a “dummy” slave process whose default storage
engineis BLACKHOLE

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com