Re: BUG #14960: Queries stuck on BtreePage lock on parallel indexscan - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tim Warberg
Subject Re: BUG #14960: Queries stuck on BtreePage lock on parallel indexscan
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the quick reply.

On 11 Dec 2017, at 10.42, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM,  <tlw@monsido.com> wrote:

Bug reference:      14960
Logged by:          Tim Warberg
Email address:      tlw@monsido.com
PostgreSQL version: 10.1
Operating system:   Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Hi,

Ran into a issue on our PostgreSQL 10.1 cluster that seems to be a parallel
index scan bug. Our queue system scheduled 30 almost identical concurrent
queries where some of them was executed as parallel queries and all of them
became stuck on IPC BtreePage lock.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the report.  This seems to be the same as the bug that we
just analysed over here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEepm%3D2xZUcOGP9V0O_G0%3D2P2wwXwPrkF%3DupWTCJSisUxMnuSg%40mail.gmail.com

Checked for similar bug reports and related git commits when it happened Thursday last week but didn’t occur to me to double check today before submitting. Looks like You have all the necessary information from the other report.

We discovered this after they've been
stuck like that for about 10 hours [1]. At the same time a autovacuum was
progressing one of the queried tables and it had become stuck in LWLock
buffer_content while vacuuming indexes. None of the query processes
responded to pg_cancel_backend nor pg_terminate_backend including the
autovacuum.

Hmm.  This may be because we hold a BT_READ lock while waiting in
_bt_parallel_seize().  Here it's extended by the above-mentioned bug,
preventing others from acquiring an exclusive lock.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Regards,