Re: designing tables - sidetrack into arrays - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Cath Lawrence
Subject Re: designing tables - sidetrack into arrays
Date
List pgsql-novice
OK, a followup to my question now before anyone replies...

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 04:01  PM, Cath Lawrence wrote:
> Perhaps I should make a special archive table and refer to it by some
> key. Say, id, [array of archive content file names], bytea for the
> archive.

Actually this now strikes me as a bad idea, since I think I can't
search my table by filename to find what archive it's in, and retrieve
that archive. With a plaintext list I could do
"select archive from bin_archives where file_name_list like
('%my_wanted_file%')"

Or am I being clueless about arrays, too?

thanks,
Cath
Cath Lawrence,                       Cath.Lawrence@anu.edu.au
Senior Scientific Programmer,  Centre for Bioinformation Science,
John Curtin School of Medical Research (room 4088)
Australian National University,  Canberra ACT 0200
ph: (02) 61257959   mobile: 0421-902694   fax: (02) 61252595