Re: libpq / crypt / md5 question - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Mitch Vincent
Subject Re: libpq / crypt / md5 question
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
I'm not sure how it's linking to an old libpq as it's a fresh install
with only one install of PG but I will investigate now that I have the
answer below..

Thanks Tom! Fast and helpful as always! Do you ever take a day off? :-)

> Mitch Vincent <mitch@doot.org> writes:
>> On the client side, am I responsible for making the password an MD5
>> hash, or does libpq take care of that on it's own?
>
> libpq does it.  This is necessary, since the client shouldn't be
> expected to know which way the password is to be encrypted on the wire.
> The password given to libpq must always be cleartext.
>
>> It seems that courier can only connect to the PG database when the
>> auth
>> type is set to crypt in the pg_hba.conf file. This is somewhat strange
>
> I suspect it means that courier is linked to an old version of libpq.
>
>             regards, tom lane

-Mitch

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong.