Re: Slow query over ADSL Line - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Philippe Lang
Subject Re: Slow query over ADSL Line
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi,

How fast to you get the results of your 300 queries on the LAN?
Have you maybe tried sniffing the network, for example with tcpdump?

Philippe

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pgsql-odbc-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner@postgresql.org] De la part de Thomas Chabaud
Envoyé : lundi, 6. mars 2006 11:20
À : pgsql-odbc@postgresql.org
Objet : [ODBC] Slow query over ADSL Line

Hello,

I'm using psql ODBC driver with ADO in a visual basic 6 application, and I
have some speed issues when I connect using an adsl line (8M down/1M up) (it
works perfectly well using an ethernet 100Mbps LAN).

The application sends about 300 queries to server, and it takes 150 seconds
to fetch the results of all queries. I have also tested some of the queries
with pgAdmin, and it takes about 1.5s/2s for each query.

The queries are all in the same simple form : "select
myfield1,myfield2,myfield3[...] from table where id=myid", and they send
back only 40/50 rows max.

I have no debug option enabled, and there is no "blob" object in my
database.

I use the following options with ADO recordset :

Dim rec as ADODB.Recordset
set rec=New ADODB.Recordset

rec.open myquery, myDbConn, adOpenStatic, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

Does the slowness is due to ADO or ODBC ?
Is there a simple way to speed up the result fetch ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Thomas Chabaud

Attachment