Re: Temporal databases - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Philippe Lang
Subject Re: Temporal databases
Date
List pgsql-sql
pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
> Have a look at the post I made to the pgsql-sql list I made on 6th
> November 2007 (day before you posted this). It contains alot of stuff
> for temporal tables within Postgres.
> However temporal tables (when done properly) are a very complex
> subject at the best of times. It depends how much you want to
> integrate them. A good place to start is Joe Celko's book "SQL For
> Smarties" and Richard Snodgrass' book "Developing Time-Oriented
> Database Applications in SQL" - this book is no longer in print, but
> is downloadable (for FREE!) from:
> http://www.cs.arizona.edu/~rts/tdbbook.pdf
> Richard Snodgrass is one of the leading experts in the field. I warn
> you - the book is heavy going - but so worth it!!
>
> Keith

Hi Keith,

I saw your post a few minutes after I posted mine, but I wasn't aware of
the free book of Richard Snodgrass. Thanks for the link!

Have you ever heard about some sort of database extension, or plugin,
that allows using databases "temporally" without have to explicitely add
code in into the schema?

Is there an SQL standard already defined for querying databases
temporally? I think I read about a "Time Connector" or something similar
for Oracle, a few years ago...

Regards,

Philippe Lang