Re: Sniffer to trace ODBC calls? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Philippe Lang
Subject Re: Sniffer to trace ODBC calls?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
I have made some tests with very simple filters, like "param = 123", and filtering happens server-side all the time. I
wonderis there could be a more complicated combination of criterias that would cause a filtering client-side, like with
aJet database backend? I don't think so...

Philippe

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pgsql-odbc-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-odbc-owner@postgresql.org]De la part de Philippe Lang
Envoyé : mercredi, 10. décembre 2003 08:39
À : Pgsql-Odbc (E-Mail)
Cc : Benjamin Riefenstahl
Objet : Re: [ODBC] Sniffer to trace ODBC calls?

Hello,

When an access database has linked tables with another MDB on the network, you can easily have situations where
filteringis actually made client-side. All records are fetched from the network, and then only those that match the
criteriaappear on the screen.

Now, I still have linked tables, but through ODBC, and a postgresql backend. I agree this is not the same, and
filteringis likely to occur server-side, but I just wanted to make sure with an SQL Sniffer. I don't know exactly how
accessexactly filters data.

I'll check that today...

Philippe