Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Migrating PostgreSQL database to MySQL/MS Access
Date
List pgsql-general
> > > well, since he wrote his app in vb.net he is probably using
> > > postgresql as a dumb data store, it might not be all that
> difficult.
> > > still, not a very smart move.
> >
> > so if you have functions on server side or triggers or rules...
> then
> > you need some rewrite on the app... otherwise just to adapt the
> sql as
> > necessary...
>
> the .net 'way' of database application development is to keep all
> the logic in the .net middleware.  please note that I am completely
> opposed to this because it obfuscates good data management
> practices.
> however based on the op's comments I am guessing he is doing things
> the .net way.

Not really. It's one of the ways. Another way that's pushed pretty hard
with .Net is sticking your logic in stored procedures. The .Net tools
from MS integrate very well with situations where all your logic is in
stored procedures - both in SQL Server 7.0/2000 (which has only TSQL
stored procs) and 2005 (which has TSQL and also CLR/.Net language
independent stored procedures).

The tools let you do it either way. Unfortunately a lot of people don't
realize the gains to be had by choosing the right one.

//Magnus