Re: PgFoundry Move - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PgFoundry Move
Date
List pgsql-www
> My one criteria in all of this, from day one, was that it had
> to be FreeBSD based, it has to be redundant with our current
> *core* infrastructure ...

While this is a very good point, I don't think it should be
overstressed. Yes, it's very good to have that type of redundancy. But
if it can be built on a different level than the OS, that would be even
better.

And it *is* a bit of a problem that there are a lot less ppl skilled in
FreeBSD. I know personally of several cases where things have been
notably delayed because nobody around really *knew* FreeBSD,
specifically with jails, good enough.

Yes, a lot of things are the same because it's still *nix. And for
critical stuff, I know we can page you. And usually, I assume that
results in quick action (don't think I've ever had to, really). But at
least I don't want to wake you up in the middle of the night for
something that's not that urgent.

Now, I'm not saying we should necessariliy change anything. I am just
saying that this difference in "available knowledge" is something that
whould be weighed into discussions like these.

//Magnus