Re: Change in policy on News? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Change in policy on News?
Date
List pgsql-www
> > > 1) Commercial Software gets 1 news item, ever, preferably
> when they
> > > introduce PostgreSQL support.
> >
> > I wasn't aware of that one. Last I heard, we were talking one per
> > month, top. Or possibly one per 2 months (nobody seem to remember
> > which..)
>
> Actually, I think you're right, only it was more like once
> per 6 months per product.

Hmm. We should probalby write stuff like this down.

> > > 2) OSS Projects supporting PG get an announcement every major
> > > version, but NOT for minor releases.
> >
> > Wasn't aware of that one either :-) I wonder if this whole policy
> > discussion was from before I started doing the -slaves
> stuff. Either
> > that or I have a bad memory.
>
> It was on this list.   Will have to search the archives.

Either that, or we need to decide on a new policy starting now - and
preferrably write it down. In public, so the people who supply news know
about it. (We should probably do that either way, since now there is no
way to know)

> > See pt 1 above. Also, remember that there are different ppl
> approving
> > different items. (I'm sure I have probably approved at least one of
> > those, but I also know I've thrown away at least one, so
> it's not like
> > *every* one gets approved)
>
> Well, even if AMsoftware wasn't getting 1 item every 3 weeks,
> 2 of those should have been turned down on "lack of content"
> grounds alone.  With room for only 3 news items on the home
> page, I think we need to be really
> restrictive about what gets on.   If people want to announce
> things more
> frequently, there's the mailing list.  And we we need to be
> consistent, or we're going to make enemies.

I'm not sure I agree fully on this. There's a point in itself to having
a "good throughput" of the news - news changing often will bring people
to the site often to check it (be it through the standard page or RSS or
whatever). That said, we should have relevant news, of course (which is
why we reject a surprisingly large amount of news that has nothing at
all to do with PostgreSQL). But I think if we're very restrictive about
it, we throttle one of the reasons people come to the site often.

//Magnus