Re: Does PostgreSQL support job? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL support job?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> > > I try to find in the documentation whether PostgreSQL
> supports job,
> > > but I miserably failed.  Does PostgreSQL support job?  If
> not, what
> > > is the mechanism mostly adopted by PostgreSQL administrators for
> > > running jobs against PostgreSQL?  I was thinking about using
> > > cron/plsql/sql-scripts on Linux.
> >
> > The answer really depends on what you mean by "jobs".  If
> you have a
> > database task that can be expressed as a series of commands with no
> > interaction involved, you can just put those commands in a file
> > (your-job-
> > name.sql) and run it using psql and cron:
> >
> > # replace leading stars with cron time settings
> > * * * * *     psql your-database -i your-job-name.sql
> >

> Yes, that's it.  A job is a task, i.e. set of statements,
> which is scheduled to run against a RDBMS at periodical
> times.  Some RDBMS, such as SQL Server and Oracle, support
> that feature, even if such a feature is managed differently
> from a RDBMS to another.

You could look at pgagent, which comes with pgAdmin3
(http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.4/pgagent.html). It does some scheduling
that's a lot more advanced than you get from plain cron. And nice
pgadmin integrated management of course.

//Magnus