Re: [BUGS] BUG #2052: Federal Agency Tech Hub Refuses to Accept - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #2052: Federal Agency Tech Hub Refuses to Accept
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > All known CVE problems are resolved in 8.0.4.
>
> I was unaware of this. I've looked at the release notes and
> searched the archives, but this doesn't seem to be mentioned
> by CVE number. (The vulnerabilities and their resolutions are
> described, just without direct cross reference to their CVE number.)
>
> Do we have an on-project description of this? If
> we-as-a-project know this, it seems straightforward to write it down.
>
> It seems like we need a much clearer resource for security
> admins to check our compliance levels. This could be a source
> of similar refusal-to-implement PostgreSQL at other
> installations, so could almost be regarded as an advocacy
> issue. Other software projects have been criticized badly for
> their security response and info dissemination - I don't
> believe that applies here, but it does indicate the general
> requirement and its priority. i.e. don't just fix the bugs,
> tell everyone you've fixed the bugs.
>
> Or, at very least, put stronger security warnings onto the
> releases. (My own advice is always to watch for announcements
> and stay current).
>
> Thoughts?

How about a simlpe webpage that has more or less a table with:
CVE-number  |   present in releases  |  fixed in releases
CVE-number  |   present in releases  |  fixed in releases
CVE-number  |   present in releases  |  fixed in releases

etc?

Perhaps also a link to an advisory of our own?

Yeah, looking around a bit, it looks like unless you're on -hackers,
it's kinda hard to know. Any reason we don't publish security pulletins
to bugtraq for example?

//Magnus