Re: Running PostGre on DVD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Running PostGre on DVD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Huh. The stated problem is that the low privilege account
> does *not*
> > have the required privilege (to log in).
> > Note that PostgreSQL doesn't really require "log on locally" for
> > anything other than initdb. So if you can initdb on a different box
> > and copy it there, or somehow get the permissions temporarily, the
> > server will workf ine. The server only requires "Log in as
> a service".
>
> Sorry, my understanding of Windows permissions is hazy at
> times. You have permission to create users, but not
> permission to run programs as the user you created (because
> you need to "login").

Yes. If you set up your permissions in a really weird way, you can have
that.

> And there is a distinction between
> running as a service and running as a program(?!).

Yes. And this is a good thing! :-)
There is no reason a normal user should be able to run a service
process. And services should normally have dedicated accounts, and there
is no reason you should ever need to log in as that account
interactively.

//Magnus