Re: Windows XP installation problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Windows XP installation problem
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hello!
> I'm trying to install postgresql on WindowsXP box using
> postgresql-8.0.msi.
> The installation goes fine until running the service. I get a
> message saying that postgre-8.0 failed to run as a service. I
> checked system log and came across an error saying
> that: PostgreSQL Database Server 8.0 is not a valid Win32 application.
> My postgres account has log on locally and log on as a
> service rights granted so I don't think that this is a problem.

This sounds like you either have a corrupt file somehow (which is weird, because checksumming is done when you unzip
thefile), or something is badly broken on your system.

can you manually run "pg_ctl" in the postgresql directory? (no matter what use, just see if you can run it at all).If
youcan, then the binary is ok, and something else is wrong in your system. If you acn't, then you've somehow got broken
filesin there - try re-downloading and re-installing.

//Magnus